Thursday, March 31, 2011

Waiting

Ahh, waiting...definitely not my strong point! Peter and I are stuck in an airport in Dallas right now. Our plane was delayed and we're having to wait for it to leave Houston and head this way. My first reaction to this "delayed" news was that of irritation. Our day was going so good and we were going to get to Midland with plenty of time to relax and enjoy the scenery, maybe do a little shopping. Those were our plans, and I'm a "plan" kind of person. I don't react kindly when my plans are messed up...just ask my husband!
And now I'm being forced to wait for an unknown amount of time. It's just frustrating!
But then I heard something.
I overheard the ticket guy explaining to another passenger that our plane was delayed getting here because of a tornado in Florida. The planes route had to be changed in order to maintain the safety of the passengers and to avoid the oncoming storm. My irritation suddenly seemed very pretty and small when I considered the fact that I would hope pilots on a plane I'm on would put my safety first too!
Then I was suddenly reminded of Who the pilot of my life is and of how so very often I chart my own course, come up with my own flight plan, and then get irritated when my plans are delayed or changed because of unforseen circumstances. I usually never stop to consider that I'm not the pilot, God is. I'm just the co-pilot, and sometimes really I'm just a passenger, waiting to get to my next destination. I cant see the bigger picture, but He can. Thosedelays and waiting times should just be seen as opportunities to be busy where I am, and also as affirmation that the God of the universe has His hand of protection over my small little grouchy undeserving passenger of a self!
So I'm still waiting on my plane, but now I'm doing so with a smile on my face! I'm DELIBERATELY waiting. It has a purpose. Just like I know (Jer 29:11) that God also has a purpose for every day of my life...even when I'm waiting!

2 comments:

  1. You are so gifted, I praise God for giving you the talent to write. Somehow, it always feels that He uses you to help me through some low times. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Melissa,
    You're so very welcome! It's a balm to my heart to know these ramblings that serve as an outlet for me ever help anyone else!

    ReplyDelete

A Limitless View of God

 I’ve been thinking a lot the last few months about my tendency to limit God by the limits that I, myself, am most comfortable working in.  ...