Monday, October 12, 2015

ZipFizz & Jesus



I love my ZipFizz. The thought of not having it makes me have a mild panic attack. My husband would say that means I am addicted…but I call it true love!  What is ZipFizz, you ask? I will gladly tell you!

ZipFizz is the drink that changed my life!  Four years ago, on a random trip to Sam’s Club, there was a very wise person there who was offering free taste samples of this amazing, healthy, all natural energy drink.  I drank it. It was ok. But five minutes later my brain, which felt perpetually stuck in a fog machine, seemed to change. The fog lifted. I no longer felt like I was fighting a battle to stay alert and awake.  This thing was a miracle!  A magic vitamin and mineral concoction that I needed to immediately invest in and keep plugged into!  It saved my momma-brain sanity! Over the course of the next year, I stopped drinking sodas and drank less coffee. I only drank my ZipFizz and water and occasionally tea.  I felt so much better!  I started sharing this amazing drink with everyone around me! After all, who today DOESN’T need more energy and less brain fuzz? 

When I am in public and I pour my ZipFizz powder into my water and shake it, I HOPE someone sees and asks me about it!  I’m dying to tell them…for several reasons. First, to help them! They need this in their life (seriously, you do...)!  Second, to help me! If I get a lot of people drinking it and increase its popularity then I never have to worry about the manufacturer stopping production…because that would be a very sad thing…and I would lose my mind!  I shutter at even the thought!

The other day I was struck with this thought: I am basically a walking advertisement for ZipFizz. I am not embarrassed to share my love of ZipFizz with others, or afraid to tell them how it changed my life.  I’m not even nervous that they will turn their nose up at it or worried about what they will think about me for loving it.  I just do it.  If people taste it, and say "Eww, no thank you," well, I tried.  If they try it and like it and start drinking it, EUREKA! Another devoted drinker of the good stuff! Unfortunately, I am not quite so quick to share other things I love deeply, that have changed my life, that saved me.  Like Jesus.

Why is it easy for me to share my love of an energy drink with others and try to get them to drink it too, and tell them the benefits, but so hard for me to share the truth of the One who TOTALLY changed my life?  I had to have a hard conversation with myself. 

I should care about sharing Jesus with people and introducing them to His greatness more than I do about a drink.  I should live a life that other people see me pouring out myself in a strange way that makes them stop and wonder, what is she doing and why is she doing that?  Enough that they are willing to ask me.  But even if they don’t , I should wear Jesus so clearly that I am a constant banner of advertisement of Him…in a positive way!  An advertisement draws people in.  It shows them something they need.  It shows them how their life could be better if they had this thing.  It doesn’t just point out negative things or list all the side-effects of the product. Jesus isn’t a product, I realize that! But I think a lot of times, we misrepresent Him.  And it doesn’t draw people in.  They don’t see the weirdness of our lives in good way.  They don’t come closer to figure us out.  They are repelled by us instead.  Jesus drew crowds of people. They came to Him because he was doing things that were strange and good and full of grace, and even though he was saying things that were hard for them to understand, there was a pull toward him because of what they saw him doing, and how they saw him loving people. 

I need to let go of my fear of what people will think.  Because if I am loving people, if I am advertising Jesus well, they will come closer.  They will ask questions.  They will drink the kool-aide….wait….I better re-phrase that!  They will embrace the thing that I love, because they clearly see the great impact it has made on my life. They will want what I have to offer.

I want to love and share Jesus like I love and share ZipFizz.

Wow. That’s a phrase I never imagined myself saying! Or anyone saying! Oh. My. Word. ZipFizz just did another good thing in my life...convicted me about my walk with Jesus!  

Ok, back to the main thing...What about you? What’s that thing in your life you love and talk about all the time?  Do you talk about Jesus as much as you do that thing?  If not, why?  Let that thing be a reminder to you, every time you drink it, drive it, eat it, wear it, do it, brag on it (ie: KIDS!!) that you should be doing the same with Jesus.  He is so much greater than all those things. 
Share him with others.

By the way…you should try ZipFizz while you’re at it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Limitless View of God

 I’ve been thinking a lot the last few months about my tendency to limit God by the limits that I, myself, am most comfortable working in.  ...